To paraphrase Joe Hill:
You will eat, bye and bye,
When you learn how to cook and how to fry,
Make it all from scratch, yes, every batch,
So you’ll eat delicious pie before you die, that’s no lie.
Here is the recipe for this year’s 10-ingredient, 10-step pumpkin pie from scratch:
1. Roast a pumpkin or squash in a 200° C / 400° F oven about 40 minutes until soft. Save 1 1/2 cups for the filling. Enjoy the rest however you like.
2. Use a fork to mix 190 g / 1 1/2 cups flour together with 80 g / 6 Tbs melted butter until crumbly and dry.
3. Press the crust into a buttered pie or tart pan, making sure that the crust goes up the sides as high as possible.
4. Bake the crust at 170° C / 350° C for about ten minutes until slightly brown. Remove and place on a rack to cool down slightly, leaving the oven on.
5. In the same bowl you used for the crust, beat 3 eggs with 1/2 cup sugar (not pictured above).
6. Add the pumpkin, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp cloves, and a pinch of salt.
7. Add 170 ml / 3/4 cups heavy cream to the filling mixture.
8. Pour in the pre-baked pie crust.
9. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until the top is set and slightly browned.
10. Let it cool as long as you like, then eat.